It may be 25 years after the original but sequel movie Space Jam: A New Legacy top the US box office on its debut weekend removing Black Widow after a single week at the top.
Elsewhere on the US box office chart Escape Room: Tournament of Champions makes its debut at 3 and Nicholas Cage stars in Pig which is new at 10 with $945,000.
US box office QuickView
- Number 1 - Space Jam: A New Legacy (1st weekend)
- Highest debut - Space Jam: A New Legacy (@1)
- Longest run - A Quiet Place Part II (8 weeks)
- Highest total gross - A Quiet Place Part II ($155 Million)
US box office top 5 breakdown 16th - 18th July 2021
25 years after the original movie which starred Micheal Jordon as the pro basketball player in a toon world comes the sequel which replaces Jordan for LeBron James, and the movie its the top spot on its debut.
The movie took $31.6 Million on its debut, comparisons to the original movie are irrelevant considering we are still in a pandemic and it was 25 years ago but Spance Jam made its debut with $27.5 Million at he end of 1996.
The MCU return to box office last a week at the top (so far) as the Scarlett Johansson starring movie srop to number 2 with $26.2 Million, a 67% drop over last weekend.
The movie has now taken $132 Million over 2 weekends and is the third top movie of 2021 in North America.
Making its debut at number 3 this weekend is a sequel movie which has had little buzz, Escape Room was released in 2019 and took a decent $57 Million over its US run.
The Adam Robitel directed sequel makes its debut with $8.8 Million.
Falling to number 4 this weekend is The Fast Saga's latest instalment which takes $7.6 Million, a slim 20% drop from last weekend, for a total os $154.8 Million after 4 weeks, and the second top movie of 2021.
Animated movies have done well during the pandemic but this movie seems to have been overlooked by audiences as the sequel movie falls to 5 with a gross of $7.6 Million, a 30% drop, giving it $154.8 Million after 4 weeks of release.
This weeks top 10 US Box Office films
See full chart
- Space Jam: A New Legacy - $31,650,000
- Black Widow - $26,251,000
- Escape Room: Tournament of Champions - $8,800,000
- Fast & Furious 9 - $7,620,000
- The Boss Baby 2 - $4,720,000
- The Forever Purge - $4,160,000
- A Quiet Place Part II - $2,300,000
- Roadrunner: A Film About Anthony Bourdain - $1,900,000
- Cruella - $1,112,000
- Pig - $945,000
All news coutery of our partner site 25thframe.co.uk, movie news